New Wave Dental Smiles is one of Burien’s top family and cosmetic dentistry practices. We proudly offer children, teenagers and adults a variety of dental treatments and procedures to help them achieve and maintain healthy, functional and beautiful smiles. One of the best ways to ensure a healthy smile, or identify future problems, is with regular dental exams every six months.
What To Expect From A Dental Exam
- When you come to New Wave for a dental exam, expect the dentist or hygienist to do the following:
- Evaluate your overall health and oral hygiene
- Evaluate your risk of tooth decay, root decay, and gum or bone disease
- Evaluate your need for tooth restoration or tooth replacement
- Check your bite and jaw for problems
- Remove any stains or deposits on your teeth
- Demonstrate proper cleaning techniques for your teeth or dentures
- Assess your need for fluoride
- Take dental X-rays or, if necessary, do other diagnostic procedures
Problems That Can Be Identified By Dental Exams
Regular dental examinations are vital for good health. During your exam the doctor will evaluate for the following:
- Tooth decay
- Impacted teeth
- Bone loss and tumors
X-rays (radiographs) are the primary tool used to evaluate the condition of your teeth and bone. Digital X-rays are instant and reduce the amount of radiation you would receive from a film x-ray by 90%.
Fluoride is a naturally-occurring mineral that is known to strengthen the enamel on the tooth’s surface. By strengthening the enamel, the risk of tooth decay is decreased. It helps prevent tooth decay by making the tooth more resistant to acid attacks from plaque bacteria and sugars in the mouth. It also reverses early decay.
Contact Your Burien, WA Dentist For More Info
Make sure your teeth are as healthy as possible and call New Wave to make your appointment today!